So Scott and I are doing our Foster Care thing. We've been taking these foster care classes and even though I've taken them before, I'm learning so much! Not just about foster care, but about parenting. There are some pretty cool things that make total sense in how kids should be dealt with, and I agree with almost everything they've taught. I love the classes. WELL.. let me rephrase that, I hate some of the stuff thats being taught, simply because it is heart breaking. But it is really good to see the stuff that really goes on with these kids. I love our teacher too, he's pretty funny!
Last night they were talking about discipline. They obviously have a different view of disciplining foster care kids verses your own kids. And since these kids come from either violent or drug abused homes (most cases that is), you have to be very gentle when you discipline.
Our teacher was telling us about this family who decided to do foster care. This couple went faithfully to a family get together every Sunday (just like what we use to do in Phoenix with Scotts family). And they approached their family one Sunday, telling them about the idea of foster care. Well their family shrugged it off until one day the couple told them they had started taking classes, and they were very serious on getting kids. The extended family finally confessed to the couple that if they had foster kids, they wouldn't be welcome to come to dinner on Sundays anymore with those kids. How heart breaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thankfully this coupled decided to go ahead with foster care, even if that meant losing Sunday dinner with their families. How awesome is that? I mean for someone to stand up for what they believe in. And shame on their family for dis including them for them making a huge effort to make some childs life better!
These kids are our future, and if we don't give them a chance to help them figure out good in their life, then we will be seeing it 10, 15, 20 years down the road when someone you loved was shot by someone wanting money for a fix. We get that enough now, but we can do our best in changing the few kids we open our hearts to.
I know, I'm ranting and raving about this. I don't even know why!! But I'm nervous, and excited for this opportunity. And I hope my family can truly help another kid, or kids!
Moving on.........................
Gabe has decided to give up on donating his hair to locks for love. I'm still proud of him.. and even though he's so close to having his hair long enough, he tried so hard! It's just getting too much for him.. and I think the kids at school might tease him a little.. soooooo as a mother who wants his kid happy, we are chopping it off soon! I'll post before and after pictures. He did tell me today in the car "Mom can I try it again when I'm a little older?" lol... silly boy! he's so cute.
Dominic is loving having a friend to play with every day. Yesterday he took Sidney upstairs to play "school". It was super hilarious! He comes down stairs and says, "Mommy we are done with School today, and we both passed our classes!" lol passed his class????? I asked him what class...and he said his lunch box filled with car class. Hahaha. He has no idea.. poor kid!
Well thats it for now..
:)
No comments:
Post a Comment