Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Fly!!!!!!!!

I've been enjoying my new pet, Aroastia the toad! Never in a million years did I think I'd be dishing up bugs for a toad. The part that gets me the most, Scott helps!
We first bought him some Crickets. I don't think he did too fabulous with the crickets. Maybe he ate one, but I'm not sure. SO we had to figure out something else! After studying about toads, and what they eat, I've come to discover they eat anything bug related.

Light bulb popped in my head.... FLIES! Like the movies, frogs are always lashing their gooey tongue up into the air for tasty flies. Now, how to catch one? Didn't seem too hard, right? I guess Scott and I found a brilliant fly, for a fly that is, Because we chased that sucker around for what seemed to be an hour or so. No success!

Thinking about it now, it must have looked hilarious with Scott and I holding a container running around the kitchen. The battle between the fly and us was suddenly lost, when the fly found its escape out the window. GRR. It was personal after the first 10 minutes of trying to catch it and my personal problem had to crumble into pieces after it flew out of the crack of the window.

Scott and I then stood out on the porch. I noticed other flies roaming the air around me. "Keep the screen door open Scott!" I said quietly. A fly could come back into our house, and we can try again! Scott of course thought that was rubbish. But after one flew in, and we caught it (A lot easier than the big buster who got away), we rejoiced with excitement (or at least -I- did).

I shook the fly into Aroastia's cage and whispered, "Bon appetit" and on my way I went. I came back 10 minutes later to check on the fly, and he was gone!!!!!! Now, Mr Aroastia was buried in his dirt somewhere, just like he was when I put the fly in. So of course I had to wonder, Did the fly escape my cage??????? After all, there were little holes that looked to be smaller then the fly, but was he tricky enough to get out???
Oh man, I was confused. I had to know which it was. Did he gobble the fly up quickly and return buried?
On to the kitchen to catch another fly I went! The curiosity was killing me!

It was dramatically easier catching flies now that we let the beast fly escape. So on to flies for dinner for toad man. I've given him 3 flies now. One escaped by my error of opening the top, one disappeared (hopefully eaten), and one is still flying in there as I type.

Scott found some potato bugs in the dirt outside and poured them into the cage. So we have potato bugs, and a fly for Aroastia. I hope he is eating!

Other news from the Baggiore home, poor Dominic is sick :( We went out yesterday morning with both boys to their soccer game, then Dominic had a fabulous time at a car show and later in the late afternoon, Dominic felt warm, and seemed to be exhausted. I thought maybe too much sun, and running around for the day. But come bedtime, when he had already fallen asleep, I felt his head and he was HoT!. He woke up not long after, fussy and warm. I gave him children's Tylenol and he went back to sleep. Of course he woke up a few times during the night. One of the times he woke up, he started crying. Both Scott and I were there to try to comfort him. When he finally settled down he said, "Dad, do you know why I was crying?" We both asked why. He says to us, "Because Gabe isn't here". What a sweet little boy.. wanting his bigger brother! Gabe was at his other dads house.

Well there is my adventure for the weekend.. and now some cute Photos =)







And finally............................................................


Mr. Aroastia!!

2 comments:

Rachel K said...

LOL, I can just picture the two of you chasing after flies! Awesome. Those are some really cute pictures. Your toad is quite handsome. :P

Jilly said...

Why thank you Rachel! I think my toad is handsome too :)